How To Get A Government Grant

For most people, going to college can be one of the most expensive endeavors they ever pursue and can become stressful for those who can’t afford the costs themselves. Fortunately, there has never been a better time to attend college due to the multitude of financial aid options that are now available.

The most rewarded and widely available financial funding is given by the federal government. These government grants we’re created for individuals in need of financial aid to pay for tuition, book fees and other expenses concerning college. Best of all, its free money that doesn’t have to be payed back!

How To Apply For Government Grants

The most popular government grants today are The Pell Grant and the FSEOG Grant, both of which have lenient eligibility requirements and are given to applicants who meet the criteria regardless of ethnicity or gender. It is important that you apply as soon as possible because the amount of funds the government has to award is limited, and it is granted on a first come, first serve basis. All government grants for education require that you fill out and submit the Free Application For Federal Aid (FAFSA), either online or at a local government office in order to qualify for the application process.

After you have done so, the best thing to do is make an appointment with a local high school or college counselor to find out exactly what personal government grants you are eligible for because it is different for every student. General eligibility criteria for federal government grants is basic and not hard to meet. The requirements for federal funding are as follows…

  • You are a U.S. Citizen or Eligible non-citizen.
  • You are in need of financial aid.
  • You are enrolled in either an eligible degree or certificate program.
  • You have a valid SSN (social security number).
  • You maintain satisfactory academic progress while in school.

These are the basic eligibility requirements for all federal funded grant programs, but each government grant has it’s own additional terms of eligibility, for instance programs such as the Pell Grant, FSEOG Grant, and the TEACH grant, have varying criteria, specifics of each can be found below.

The Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is targeted towards undergraduate students who are in financial need and are enrolled at a college or in a certificate program somewhere within the United States. As of the year 2012-2013 the maximum award you can receive is $5,550. However, the amount you specifically receive depends on your cost of attendance, your status as either a full-time or part-time student, and your financial need based on your expected family contribution (EFC). Although, if you are the child of a parent who passed away in Iraq or Afghanistan, then you are eligible for a larger sum of money. Once you are accepted, you can choose to either have your payment be sent to the school that you are attending, to you directly, or a combination of both. More information regarding the Pell Grant can be found online at a government website.

The FSEOG Grant

FSEOG stands for Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity, in which the grant is only for undergraduate students who are subject of extreme financial need. You will be awarded $100 to $4,000 per year based on your financial situation, which is determined by your FAFSA form information. This is a campus-based grant, issued directly by the financial aid office to qualifying schools. Make sure you apply for a government grant as early as you can to ensure that you are picked for the award. If you want to learn more, check out our article on FSEOG Grants.

The TEACH Grant

The Federal TEACH Grant differs from the previous student grants because it is not available to just anybody who meets the general eligibility criteria. In order to qualify for this grant you must be taking certain classes and pursuing work in a particular career field. Specifically, the TEACH program requires that the individual be taking courses needed to become a teacher. You must sign an agreement form that asks you to commit to teaching at a school that serves low-income students and families for at least four years after finishing college, once you do so, you will be eligible for a grant sum of up to $4,000. Additional information can be found online at a federal student aid website.

Be sure to check back often, as we continue to update our database with new information regarding government grant assistance as it becomes available. Thanks for visiting!

Previous post:

Next post: